Fort Myers of
the 1930 and 1940s come to life on the movie screen in
“Billy Nalle’s Fort Myers
Thursday, January 16, 2014
Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center
2301 First Street in historic downtown Fort Myers
(doors open at 6:30 w/cash bar)
Tickets are $10. Go to www.sbdac.com,
call 239.333.1933, or purchase at the box office.
Sponsored by the Southwest Florida Historical Society
These 8 mm films were shot by legendary musician and composer Billy Nalle, a native of Fort Myers. They capture Page Field in 1938 before
the runway was paved, aerial shots of downtown, the Fort Myers High School class of 1939 picnicking on Fort Myers Beach, the Yacht Basin on Christmas Day 1946, Kids Day 1938 at the old Fort Myers High School on Thompson Street, McGregor Boulevard in 1947, and the high school Green Wave band in a 1947 parade by the Yacht Basin—and more.
Visit the Historical Society
The Historical Society Research Center is located on the campus of the Lee County Alliance for the Arts on the Southeast corner of McGregor Blvd. and Colonial Blvd. Hours are 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon on Wednesday and Saturday.
Please phone ahead and let us know your needs at (239) 939-4044.
The objectives of the all-volunteer non-profit society are:
- To discover, collect and preserve original and significant documents, maps and photographs pertaining to the history of Southwest Florida:
- To promote historical research and to preserve and perpetuate historical sites:
- To bring together those interested in the history of this area;
- To promote and stimulate public interest and appreciation of the history of this area;
- And to further the preservation and knowledge of Southwest Florida's past.
At the Research Center, you can ...
- research local history in the archives and library
- browse historic photos of places, buildings, and people
- consult "family" files and unpublished documents for genealogical research
- consult historic maps, land documents, and government records (e.g., Lee County Tax Collector payment records for 1897 and 1904, complete with paid taxes on real property and legal description)
- browse the bookstore for difficult-to-find publications
- and much more.
Researchers are urged to visit the research center during regular hours or to arrange for a special appointment for access to the archives. The society, at this time, does not have sufficient staff to provide research via email. Researchers planning to obtain digital files on their initial visit are advised to bring a flash drive.